Saturday, August 19, 2006

Back to Work, Sort Of!

Well, we're back from New Orleans and Indy. It was nice seeing a couple old friends. Ran into Oz ( lordoz.blogspot.com ), Mike and Daisy at a steak place in Indy. I really wish more of the old group had been there, but I think the Lady was trying to remind me to let go of that part of my life. I left there with a very bitter sweet taste in my mouth.

Saw my new neice on my wife's side of the family, Lillian Dailey. I'll post pictures later. After that stay we drove through to New Orleans and spent a couple days in a two hundred year old place called the Place D Armes right in the middle of the French Quarters. What can I say except New Orleans is a ghost town. Katrina kicked it's ass, and I don't think it'll be back any time soon. Miles upon miles of residences and business on the east side of the city are still trashed. I didn't even know a Six Flags was there, because it isn't. You can see the roller coasters and stuff, but the sign looks like a leftover from a nuclear weapons test. Houses with their roofs missing, a few FEMA portable trailers, that's about it.

The French Quarter escaped largely undamaged, but the business' suffered the worst. At least half of them are gone. A few new ones have opened, but they mostly sell shit and I think they are taking advantage of the cheap rents. On that subject there were these condos at the end of St. Anne street (where our hotel was), right by the Mississippi river. The two bed, two bath jobs went for over $2000 a month before Katrina. They can be had for under $800 now. Ouch.

But we had a good time and I felt great about spending our tourist money there. We had some good creole food, got a few sourvenirs, and left with good memories (pictures in a few days).

We got back within an hour of the planned time and I returned to a shitload of unfinished work. And now after busting my ass for a week, my boss sent me a rude and threatening message on Friday. Nice. I'm looking for work again. I've been supposed to have a review for weeks. I'm thinking about having a resignation letter in hand when I go into it. Fuck it, I'm tired of my abusive boss. He really doesn't abuse me too much, but he's constantly berating employees in front of everyone, and is basically a pink triangle drama queen.

On the writing front things are going great! I continue to dabble on Crimson Star, and have taken off like a rocket on my 5th re-write of The Lord's Prayer. I started working on it in New Orleans and have over 18,000 words in the can. About 15%. Not too shabby. This particular nightmare of a novel started about fifteen years ago (maybe more) and has seen several incarnations. The first was action adventure and involved my game group characters. This 5th and hopefully final version is kind of a spiritual/sexual sci-fi space opera. Oh boy, what a ride. If I succeed I'm not going to make any friends of the Christians. Call it kind of Passion of the Christ meets Stranger in a Strange Land filmed during 2001: A Space Odyssey.

My wife (she who must be obeyed) has finally succeeded in daring me to write a political blog. You can find it under inconcievabletirades.blogspot.com (sorry if spelling is wrong). I'll add a link later. It might not be to the liking of my liberal fans. I am after all a libertarian, conservative, constitutionalist pagan. Well, I'm not in any popularity contests.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home