Thursday, July 06, 2006

Growing Pains

Well, it's not a week, but it's also not a half a year!

Patrick, our son, is growing like MAD! He's 51 inches tall, 4' 3"!!!! He's only eleven inches shorter than Joy, and twenty inches shy of my modest 5' 10". How the hell did that happen? Plus he starts 3rd grade in just a few weeks. I know, I know, it is such a cliche to say 'where did the years go', but it is also a truism to say the years fly by the older you get. Joy and I have been together nine years now (we conceived Patrick about nine years ago in July some time). Have they all been wonderful? No, but none of them have been horrible either. I can honestly say most have been good, some have been great, and this year so far is freaking fantastic. We simply love Texas, we might be putting down roots for good. The market for my chosen profession is great, and for her it's as good as it gets without moving out east (ugh!).

I think we could do a lot worse than the Lone Star State. The only thing that drives me crazy is my own imagination. I left the Pacific Northwest for a lot of reasons, but one of them was that living in the shadow of rainier was not a wise thing to do (look up decade volcano on the internet sometime). Indiana is as boring as a tofu pizza, but it is also as safe as one. Texas is another story. This really is tornado alley, and worse, we're only about 400 feet above sea level. If the gulf of Mexico or the southern Atlantic ocean took a medium size rock, we'd have a front row seat at the ultimate surfer ride in history. But like I said, that's just my paranoia.

On a better note, I've been living Atkins again for the last month or so and as usual it's working like charm. Six months have always been the make or break for me. But this time we actually have the money to eat better than cheap-crap meats and stuff. Maybe 3rd time is the charm?

My motivation? Besides being as big as a VW Beetle, it would be the theme of this post. I want to sit holding my wife's hand and ball right along with her as my son says "I do," no matter if it is fifteen years from now, or thirty (seventy two?! I hope it's not that long!).

I am writing, just kinda flopping around for now. I'll post more on that next time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Oz said...

Looking forward to you visit tofu pizza, I mean Indiana.

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home