Thursday, June 19, 2008

Joe's Apartment - Part II

Yeah, great movie. Thousands of roaches in a dance numbers, helping out their good friend Joe. My roaches don't dance, and they don't help. What they do s take over the friggin place and crawl up my arm in the middle of the night. AAARRGGHH! I've lived with them in the past to one degree or another, but never like this. These bitches are a biblical plague. That cheapass apartment right next to my office in Nashville was a real good deal. Now I know why.
The owners nuked it, and they thought that was kinda fun. I put out bait traps and got a good body count, but either reinforcements arrived from the low income crowd next door, or they decided that baits were more like a tasty sauce. Added some spray, same results. I chased one bastard around the bathroom for five minutes a couple days ago. Spray, run, spray, run, screw it SMASH, ewww.
Well, stopped on the way back from my Nashville Writers Meetup and considered nuclear options. A triple bomb pack I would set off tomorrow morning when leaving for work, have the whole weekend to work. Then I spotted something. Boric Acid sold as a pesticide. Boric Acid? The same stuff made from borax? You gotta bekidding me. Sure, why not. Bought a bottle for a couple dollars and brought it home. It looks like talcum powder, has kind of a bitter smell. I started sprinkling it along the walls, behind the fridge, all over the friggin place. WTF? Better than chemicals.
Well, went into the kitchen to nuke some dinner, and hello, freaking out roaches. A couple on the floor were doing a fair impression of MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice. The stuff was killing them, and quickly. Not like some chemicals, but still working. So I hopped on the net and found out they've been using this to kill ants, roache and silver fish for like 200 years. Name a pesticide that goes on killing roaches for two centuries. Right, there isn't one. This stuff gets them three ways. They like to eat it, and it jacks up their digestive system. They resperate it, and it cloags their air holes. And when they walk through it, the stuff jacks up the waxy links between their chitton joints, basically making them leak to death. Damn! A bunch of web sites rave about it. I'm shelving the chemical warfare for a few days, lets see how this works.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home